BSc in Renewable Energy and Energy Management
Institute of Technology, Tralee
Course Code TL 610
Duration: 3 Years
Apply to: CAO
NQAI: Level 7
This course focuses on the use of Renewable Energy and Energy Management in domestic houses, apartments, as well as larger facilities such as hotel, sport centres, school and colleges, nursing homes, office accommodation and warehousing. The course will also provide to the use of Renewables and the Management of Energy in larger scale industrial facilities
Reasons to choose this course
- Energy engineering is crucial to addressing some of the most challenging environmental issues facing the world today
- Excellent career prospects in an expanding market
- Links with Industry
What is the Renewable Energy and Energy Management about?
This programme aims to produce graduates at ordinary degree level in renewable energy technologies, in the efficient use of energy and in the management of energy.
On completion of the Ordinary Degree programme, the graduate will: demonstrate knowledge of the fields of renewable energy technologies, energy efficiency and energy management; have a broad range of skills both practical and analytical; be capable of working on site or in the domestic/industrial environment in a safe, effective and efficient manner.
The objective of this course is to produce graduates:
- who understand the importance and significance of sustainable living;
- who have a fundamental knowledge of the different renewable energy technologies;
- who have an understanding of both domestic and industrial heating and ventilating systems;
- with understanding of the relevant building regulations and technical guidance and ability to assess the energy performance of buildings;
- who will be able to conduct domestic and industrial energy audits and operate as an energy manager in industry;
- who understand the regulatory environment pertaining to renewables;
- with an understanding of energy management and health and safety;
- with a basic knowledge of electricity and the issues involved in connecting renewables to the electricity grid;
- with an understanding of workshop practices and drawing office practices;
- with basic computing of IT skills;
- with an understanding of measurement and instrumentation;
- with basic numerical skills;
- with an understanding of how business operates and with skills in technical selling and sales management.
Subject areas include
- Renewable Technologies
- Sustainable Living
- Energy Efficiency and Management
- Building Technology, Services and Regulation
- Sustainable Architecture
- Electronic Control
- Workshop Processes and CAD
How is the course delivered?
This course is semesterised. Students spend approximately 30% of total contact hours in workshop or laboratory-based environments. The remainder of the course is lecture and tutorial based. The course features independent research projects in the third year. Site visits where appropriate will take place during the course.
What facilities are available?
IoT, Tralee has modern workshops, CAD, instrumentation and computer laboratories dedicated for student use. Library and web-based learning tools supplement lecture and laboratory notes. This course has developed links with Energy Master, Listowel. Energy Master operates training facility for renewable energy solutions. They have the following up-to-date equipment: Wood pellet boiler; Wood pellet boiler; Solar panel & Solar tubes; Heat Pump; Heat recovery ventilation and Under-floor heating.
On completion of this B. Sc. programme, the graduate will:
- demonstrate knowledge of the fields of renewable energy technologies, energy efficiency and energy management
- have a broad range of skills both practical and analytical
- be capable of working on site or in the domestic/industrial environment in a safe, effective and efficient manner
What are my career opportunities?
Renewable energy and energy management technicians and associate engineers will be involved in a range of careers that include: the installation of renewable energy devices; the design of energy systems for buildings; energy management and energy auditing; energy engineering consultancy; the design / modification of renewable energy devices; the manufacturing of renewable energy devices; technical selling and marketing of renewable energy products.
Graduates from the B.Sc. in Renewable Energy and Energy Management will be involved in a range of careers that include:
- installation of renewable energy devices to
- new facilities and retrofitting
- design of energy systems for buildings
- energy management
- energy auditing
- energy consultancy
- design / modification of renewable energy devices
- manufacturing of renewable energy devices
- technical selling of renewable technology and energy management devices.
A one year add-on B.Sc. (Hons) is being developed and will be available from 2010. Students can then progress to Postgraduate or Doctorate through research.
Further information at School of Engineering IT Tralee 066 7145606