Applied Social Studies Courses
The Open Training College offers two degree level courses in Applied Social Studies (Disability). These are:
- BA (Hons) in Applied Social Studies (Disability)
- BA (Ord) in Applied Social Studies (Disability)
BA (HONOURS) IN APPLIED SOCIAL STUDIES
The BA (Honours) in Applied Social Studies (Disability) has been designed and written to facilitate learners to develop the skills, knowledge and competencies to become highly skilled and informed workers/managers contributing to the future development of quality rights-driven services for people with disability.
Workers in agencies who achieve this qualification will prove invaluable to agencies in meeting the challenges arising from the changes in the sector including the move to statutory quality standards (NSDS), professionalisation of the social care role, effective service planning and implementing real person centred services.
Who is it for?
Applicants to this programme must hold a Level 7 qualification (Ordinary Degree/National Diploma) in Applied Social Studies (Disability). The College also offers an advanced entry mechanism for holders of Level 7 qualifications in Applied Social Studies in Social Care from the Institutes of Technology. Applications from people with Level 7 qualifications in a cognate area may be considered. However, strict entry criteria will apply. Contact the College for further details.
This course is certified by HETAC and is placed at Level 8 on the National Framework of Qualifications.
What you’ll learn
This course consists of 5 modules:
- Applied Research Methods
- Comparative Social Policy
- Leadership and Change in Human Services
- Essential Social Care Management Skills
- Social Equality and Inclusion
- Each student receives an electronic version of each module. However, a set of hard copy modules is available to each student at a cost of €125 (5 modules).
How it benefits you
On completion of this course students will hold a qualification which is noted for the excellence of its materials, approach and philosophy. This qualification will enable students to apply for posts with management responsibilities including the Social Care Leader salary scale. In addition successful students will have a progression route to studies at Level 9: Post-Graduate Diploma or Masters Degree.
The course fees for 2009/2010 are €2,995.
Please note that students undertaking this course may be entitled to tax relief of 20%, a saving of approximately €600 for the student for the year. Students are advised to contact their local inspector of taxes to confirm eligibility. More information and the relevant form is available here on the Revenue Commissioners’ website.
The College also supports all students with an annual fees instalment plan.
To learn more about this course, contact the Open Training College, or click here to download the course brochure.
To view the provisional course calendar for 2009/10, click here. Please note attendance at workshops is optional.
BA (ORDINARY) IN APPLIED SOCIAL STUDIES (DISABILITY)
The BA (Ordinary) in Applied Social Studies (Disability) has been designed and developed to provide cutting edge thinking that will assist people to provide excellent user centred services for those living with a disability.
Who is it for?
Those working in services for people with a disability either full-time, part-time or in a voluntary capacity (ten hours per week).
Please note, applicants for this course must:
- Have at least 1 year’s experience of working in the disability sector
- Hold a Leaving Certificate or be over 23 years of age
This course is certified by HETAC and is placed at Level 7 on the National Framework of Qualifications.
What you’ll learn
This course consists of 14 core modules and 2 electives:
- Exploring Disability. A Sociological & Historical Perspective
- Social Policy and Legislation 1
- Professional Practice & Ethics
- Effective Communication and People Skills
- Focus on the Individual: Person Centred Planning
- Total Quality Management
- Empowerment & Advocacy
- Community Networking
- Learning Theories and Teaching Strategies
- Strategies for Supporting Independent Living
- Research Methods
- Exploration of Self, Relationships & Sexuality
- Social Policy & Legislation II
- Life Stages, Development and Transition
Students choose two subjects from:
- Supporting People within the Autistic Spectrum
- Supporting People in Mainstream Work
- Supporting People Labelled as Challenging
- Supporting People with Mental Health Needs
Each student receives an electronic version of each module. However, a set of hard copy modules is available to each student at a cost of €100 (4 modules).
How it benefits you
On completion of this course students will hold a primary qualification which is unsurpassed in the excellence of its materials, approach and philosophy. This qualification will enable students to apply for posts carrying the Social Care Professional salary scale, as it is one of the approved courses arising from the Joint Committee Report. Students will also have a progression route to studies at Level 8: Bachelor of Arts (Honours).
To learn more about this course contact the Open Training College, or click here to download the course brochure
Click here to find answers to frequently asked questions about this course
Click here to download a document detailing the entry requirements for this course
To view the provisional course calendars for 2009/10:
The Open Training College
- Train the Trainer: Reduced Rates for Jobseekers New Approach
- Personal Development: Courses to Beat the Recession. Only €80 Prime Learning
- Beauty Therapist Course The LA Make-Up Academy
- New Masters Degree in Security and Digital Forensics Institute of Technology, Blanchardstown
- Diploma in Internet Marketing Dublin Business School
- Become a Professional Make up Artist LA Make-Up Academy
- Advanced Certificate in Dog Grooming Dublin School of Grooming
- BA (Hons) Business Management (Project Management) Dublin Business School
- MSc in Information & Library Management Dublin Business School
- Elevation Programme Chartered Accountants Ireland
- Advanced Accredited Diploma in Personal and Executive Coaching Executing Coaching Solutions - €750 off your fees if you register in August
- Train the Trainer: ½ Price if you register in August Executive Coaching Solutions
- Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) Executive Coaching Solutions
- Special Needs Assistant Colaiste Dhulaigh
- Security Training Executive Coaching Solutions
- BA (Ordinary) in Applied Social Studies (Disability) (HETAC,… The Open Training College
- Have you a business idea you’d like to… Startup Education and Enterprise Development, Colaiste Dhulaigh
- MSc in Applied Digital Media (HETAC) Griffith College Dublin
- BA (Hons) in Interior Architecture Griffith College Dublin
- New Bachelor of Science in Energy University of Limerick
- Tripartite MSc in International Business (Dublin, Berlin, Paris) Griffith College Dublin
- New Postgraduate Programmes in Computer Science University College Cork
- Hairdressing Colaiste Dhulaigh
- MA & BA (Hons) in Journalism Independent College Dublin
- Fast-track into Technology for Unemployed Adults Colaiste Dhulaigh
- Law Degrees Griffith College Law School
- Higher Certificate in Applied Management (Nonprofit/Human Services) (HETAC,… The Open Training College
- BA (Honours) in Applied Social Studies (Disability) (HETAC,… The Open Training College
- BA in Applied Management (Non-profit/Human Services) (HETAC, Level… The Open Training College
- Law Griffith College Dublin
- Certificate in Applied Management (Non-Profit/Human Services) (HETAC, Level… The Open Training College
- MA in Journalism & Media Communications Griffith College Dublin
- One Day Workshop on CV Prep & Interview… Eden Training
- Animation Colaiste Dhulaigh
- BA (Hons) in Interior Architecture (HETAC) FINAL YEAR… Griffith College Dublin
- New Degree in Energy Systems Engineering National University of Ireland, Galway
- Degree in Retail Management Dublin Business School
- Three new postgraduate programmes UCD School of Politics and International Relations
- Bachelor of Arts in Sports and Exercise Institute of Technology, Carlow
- Accountancy Independent College Dublin
- BSc in Renewable Energy and Energy Management Institute of Technology, Tralee